THIS BLOG HAS MOVED .. please visit the NEW blog!


27 March 2013

yoga pants aka a stream of thought

This morning I almost put on the same ol' thing. Those yoga pants. Now, I do do yoga. I love yoga. Highly recommend it if you haven't tried it before. It calms the entire self, inside and out. Therefore, I see it fine that I own a pair of yoga pants. I have several pairs if you must know. If you don't do yoga and fall into the habit of wearing these comfy pants, I won't tell anyone. So, I was mulling over what to put on after I decided against the usual mom-look, and settled on my khakis. I also have several pairs of those. They go with every color, right? You wonder where I'm going with this .... here we are.

Every now and again I pick up my copy of Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy by Sarah Ban Breathnach. I don't recall the last time I read an entry but today's reading was spot on. Mainly about fashion and defining your own style, but its lesson carries further. To who you are and who you want to be. 

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot.

Simplicity is a fashion statement every woman today can make no matter what her personal style has been in the past. That's because true simplicity never disappoints. Once you learn that less is more, then enough becomes plenty, and your entire outlook on life - including fashion - is transformed. 
- Sarah Ban Breathnach.

She encourages the reader to purge closets and keep what you really wear, will wear, etc. I'm guilty of having a closet filled with clothes I never wear and a clean sweep mindset comes over me now and again to bag it all and donate so someone else can actually wear clothes. If you take it further though, and put the idea into your life, perhaps your needlework stash, yarn hoards ... then you can easily see that less IS more. You can certainly live with less than you have. I certainly love adding to my stash of various collections just like the next person but it is wise to cut yourself off from excess. Sounds like Lent. 

I'm in a new bible study on Matthew and only now at the age of 43 do I fully understand the reasoning behind giving something up for Lent, the knitty gritty of how Jesus lived in the desert during those 40 days of temptation and never once, gave in to Satan. It wasn't easy but he did it. Growing up Baptist we didn't give anything up for Lent. I've been Methodist for over a decade and again, only now, do I get it. 

Re-reading the scriptures in the book of Matthew and having an awakening within to the power of fully giving up something you desire for this period moved me beyond words this spring. So I decided to give up diet coke for the last week of Lent even though I was coming late to the game. I chose diet coke because that's my vice and even though I drink far less of it than I used to, it's still my only go-to soda of choice. I don't buy it in the house anymore but will have it out at restaurants and just the option of having it is a silly comfort. So giving it up just this week has been very, very difficult for me. Going back to Breathnach's words, "once you learn than less is more, then enough becomes plenty, and your entire outlook on life ... is transformed." Get it? 

Hold fast your faith. It keeps you grounded and mindful of what you really need.

9 comments:

Patti said...

Lovely. Thank you so much for sharing. Exactly what I needed to hear today. Something for me to aspire to ~ less is more...
Blessings, Patti

Jeanmarie DiTaranto said...

Patti said it all. Thank you!

BARBARA said...

I, too, have this book and go to it often....many inspiring words that make me think! This Lent is the first time I have stayed true to my personal sacrifice.....I gave up potato chips which I love with a sandwich but at this point I'm beginning not to miss them in my diet....go figure. Happy Easter :)

Melody said...

Thanks for the thoughtful post. It made me stop and think a bit. Which is a good thing.

I commiserate on the diet coke. That is my soda of choice as well, I try to limit it to 1 a day. Some days I accomplish it and others not.

Happy Easter to you.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Lent....its a good thing ;) and thank you for inspiring others to understand the defeat of self and the illumination of what is truly most valuable and needed!

Robin said...

Your post reminded me of a quote I have up in my house; "Enough is abundance to he wise." It is by Euripides. I think spring makes us all want to get rid of things we don't use because we've been staring at it all winter.

Dede said...

Thank you for the reminder-less is more. I didn't give up anything this year--in the past it has been pop or candy. It seems that is not talked about as much as when I was growing up. In fact many people I know have not heard of this denial. Kinda sad when you think about it---they haven't really got the 40 day thing.
Will look for that book!

The Sampler Girl said...

Very good quote, Robin!!

Glad you all enjoy this post - it means so much to me that you do.

Tanya

Glenna said...

Oh, no to the diet coke. I drink four a day, which is probably about 3 too many. Then again, I don't drink coffee. But I can't imagine giving up my fizzy morning companion (has to be in a can and very cold). When the traffic is extra bad, I drink one in the car. Comforting. I could give up chocolate! I don't much care for chocolate, but I suppose it's cheating, sort of, to give up something you don't miss a whole lot.